If you’ve ever been driving around and said “Pedestrians! Bonus points!” then you have Paul Bartel’s Death Race 2000 to thank for it. That satirical Roger Corman classic, directed by the late and great Paul Bartel (Eating Raoul), was about a futuristic dystopia in which the masses are kept placated by a bloody cross country racing game, in which crossing the finish line first doesn’t mean a thing if you don’t kill anybody in the process.
The original Death Race is still a wickedly funny, perversely violent good time and although the previous generation of Death Race reboots took the premise a little more seriously, the time has obviously come for the franchise to return to its colorful, subversive roots. Hence, the new Death Race 2050, which stars Manu Bennett as the possibly heroic Frankenstein, and a bevy of outlandish characters as his competition.
In this exclusive, violent clip from Death Race 2050 we get a damn good look at the pedestrian carnage, and an introduction to one of the competitors, Minerva, played by Folake Olowofoyeku (Female Fight Club). Enjoy the devstation, and keep an eye out for more violent mayhem when the film zooms headfirst into Blu-ray™ combo pack, DVD and Digital HD on January 17, 2017!
From the Press Release:
Legendary filmmaking icon, Roger Corman, is back with his most outrageous film yet in this sensational, action-packed and darkly humorous reboot of the original Death Race 2000! It’s the year 2050 and America is controlled by an all-powerful corporate government ruled by The Chairman (Malcolm McDowell). The masses have been brainwashed with violent virtual-reality entertainment. The event of the year is the Death Race, in which a motley crew of violent drivers compete in a cross-country road race, scoring points for shamelessly running people over and driving each other off the road. The reigning champion and fan favorite, Frankenstein (Manu Bennett), who’s half-man half-machine, wants to take the crown, but his rebel spy co-pilot threatens his legacy.
Produced by Roger Corman, the king of cult classics, Roger Corman’s Death Race 2050 stars Manu Bennett (The Hobbit) as Frankenstein and Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange) as the Chairman. The cast also features Burt Grinstead (“NCIS”), Marci Miller (Viper), Folake Olowofoyeku (The Beaver), Anessa Ramsey (Footloose), Yancy Butler (Hard Target) and Charlie Farrell (Cantar).
BLU-RAYTM, DVD AND DIGITAL HD’s exclusive BONUS FEATURES:
- The Making of 2050 – This featurette goes behind the scenes of Roger Corman’s DeathRace 2050 to explore why, over four decades later, the original Death Race 2000 has been remade, including what made this project appealing to cast and crew, what changes have been made, and what fans of the original will still love. Discover the movie magic behind the deaths, stunts and of course — the cars! Includes interviews with stars, director G.J. Echternkamp and Corman himself.
- Cars! Cars! Cars! – Go on the set with the drivers of Death Race 2050 as they introduce their one-of-a-kind killing machines: Frankenstein and his Monster, Perfectus and his Piece of Art, Tammy and the Tank, Minerva and her Sound Box and ABE.
- The Look of 2050 – An insider look at how the film’s visual style came together, including how shooting in Peru helped set the tone of the picture and how the costumes became stars in and of themselves.
The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes a Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital HD with UltraViolet™.
- Blu-ray™ features a pristine high-definition picture, theater quality sound and extras.
- DVD offers the flexibility and convenience of playing movies in more places, both at home and away.
- DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet™ lets you watch movies anywhere, and plays on your mobile devices.