Well, it’s that time of year again. Before you stuff your face full of Who-pudding and rare Who-beast, it’s time to strap on the steel toe boots and pump some iron to fight off the raucous crowds of retail zombies looking to score a deal. To alleviate your fear and hopefully save you from being trampled by your consumer peers, we’ve put together a simple list of must-grab items for this coming Black Friday and the stores at which to locate them.
Gamers should be especially happy this season, as there’s plenty of great (new!) titles available for cheap. Better yet, we’ll even manage to get you a brand new home theater setup for under $400. Try doing that on any other day but Black Friday.
● Xbox 360 250GB + Fable III and Halo Reach - $199.99 (Best Buy)
● Nintendo 3DS + Super Mario 3D or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: $179.99 (Best Buy)
● PlayStation 3 160GB + Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, Little Big Planet 2 - $199.99 (Best Buy)
● Nintendo Wii + New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Galaxy Music CD - $134.99 (Sears)
● Batman: Arkham City - $28 (Walmart)
● Call of Duty: Black Ops - $30 (Best Buy)
● Deus Ex: Human Revolution - $30 (Best Buy)
● Gears of War Triple Pack - $7.99 (Best Buy)
● Uncharted 3 - $40 (Best Buy)
● WWE All Stars - $20 (Kmart)
● XBox Live Gold 3 Month Subscription - $7.99 (Best Buy)
● Big Bang Seasons 1-4 - $12.99/each (Target)
● Casino Royale - $1 (Best Buy)
● Mad Men Seasons 1-4 - $8.99/each (Best Buy)
● The Sopranos Seasons 1 -6 - $18.99/each (Best Buy)
● The Dark Knight - $5 (Best Buy)
● Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - $10 (Best Buy)
● Inception - $5 (Walmart)
● The Lion King Combo Pack - $17 (Walmart)
● X-Men First Class Combo Pack - $10 (Best Buy)
Emerson 40" 1080p LCD HDTV - $248 (Walmart)
Forty Inches and 1080p for under $300 is a deal worth fighting for during the Black Friday madness. Sure, you’ll have to endure an ass-early trip to Walmart, but you’ll have the last laugh after you’re mass murdering bad guys as Nathan Drake with your discounted copy of Uncharted 3.
Panasonic 5.1 300-Watt DVD Home Theater System - $99.99 (Kmart)
We wouldn’t suggest splurging on a brand new 40” TV if you couldn’t have a booming sub-woofer and 5.1 surround sound to go with it. For $100, you’ll get a quality system that will be sure to make your windows rattle with every swoop of a spaceship or swinging of a lightsaber.
Toshiba Blu-ray Player - $39.99 (Kmart)
Hopefully you picked up a dirt cheap PlayStation 3 to play them new Blu-ray discs you snatched up, but if gaming isn’t your thing, not to worry. Kmart’s got the best Blu-ray player deal that you’ll find on Friday, so snag this when you’re grabbing your new sound system!
Compaq 15.6" 2GB RAM 250GB HD - $198 (Walmart)
In need of a new PC? Know someone that is? This is a more than serviceable baseline computer for all of the normal needs of a functional human being: word processing, googling, social networking, streaming video, porn. The works. Why bother with one of those teeny-tiny netbooks when you can have a full-fledged PC for the same price?
4GB PNY USB Thumbdrive - $3.99 (Best Buy)
While much smaller than every other item on this list (including video games), this might be the most essential for 21st century living. Be able to snag files on the fly, share pictures, backup important documents. The days of e-mailing this to yourself are over! Especially for this dirt cheap thumbdrive -- it’s only $1 per gig -- there’s no excuse to ever lost a file ever again!