The results are in and we now know the top-selling games of 2011, thanks to an NPD stat tracking group (via CVG). It should come as no surprise that top honors go to Activision’s first-person shooter behemoth, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. I mean, the game did set the all-time gross record for its first 24 hours of release, then went on to pick up even more steam as the weeks went on.
However, what might surprise you is that Just Dance 3 came in second place, according to the sales tracker unit. That’s right, a quasi-enjoyable dancing game topped Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, and even Madden NFL 12. I guess it just goes to show you that people love to kick off their shoes and dance after a hard day’s work instead of chart unfamiliar territory in make-believe worlds. Good God, what is this universe coming to?!
Here is the full, top 10 list of top-selling games in 2011. Do you think the quality of some of these games deserves the kind of numbers they pushed? Let us know in the comments below.
2011 Top-Selling Games
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC) – Electronic Arts
- Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC)
- Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
- Gears of War 3 (360)
- Just Dance 2 (Wii)
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)