Today, Microsoft and 343 Industries sent out a rather large press email running down a number of things coming to Halo 4 when it releases later this year. The two most important points to take away from the email were the game’s Limited Edition bundle and how multiplayer will be expanded for this entry in the series.
Firstly, let’s talk multiplayer. For Halo 4, 343 Industries is introducing a new hub world to multiplayer. Everything from customizing your Spartan to following your progress in competitive and cooperative multiplayer will happen on the UNSC Infinity – the largest starship in the UNSC fleet.
Additionally, Halo 4 will feature a new game mode called “Spartan Ops,” which is a series of missions that can be played solo or with up to three friends that are built into the game’s narrative fabric. Every week there will be a new Spartan Ops mission for players to partake in over Xbox Live, complete with new cinematics that drive the experience and tie into the story following the events of Halo 4.
As for the Limited Edition bundle, it will retail for $99.99 and include a collector’s case (shown on the right), a bunch of digital download content and an extended version of the upcoming live-action web series, Halo: Forward Unto Dawn.
The Limited Edition version of Halo 4 is available for pre-order today.
Here’s the complete list of everything it offers:
- War Games Map Pack Access – The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps – three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox LIVE. (A detailed release schedule for the map packs will be announced at a later time)
- Specializations – Receive early access to six Specializations, available at launch on Xbox LIVE, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specializations unlock new customization options. Purchasers of the “Halo 4” Limited Edition will get access on launch day, while others will have to wait as Specializations are released over time.
- UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet - includes an armor customization schematic, a blueprint of the massive ship itself, and insight into what it means to be one of humanity’s finest warriors: the Spartan-IVs.
- Bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE:
o Unique in-game Spartan-IV armor skin
o Unique in-game weapon skin for the Assault Rifle
o An exclusive in-game emblem
o Xbox LIVE Avatar prop
o Xbox LIVE Avatar Spartan-IV armor set
- “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” Special Edition – An extended 90-minute version of the live-action digital series that will bring the “Halo” universe to life as you’ve never seen it, and provide an enthralling backstory leading up to the events of “Halo 4.”
o “Halo 4” Limited Edition also includes the following exclusive videos:
§ Bonus in-fiction content expanding the characters and stories of
“Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn”
§ Special Featurette: Bringing Gaming into Reality
§ Making of “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn”