You know what they say about fast food, right? They make it fast. And when you rush a job, chances are that things will go wrong. In the ten examples that follow, we’ll tell you about fast food customers who got some very unwelcome special orders added to their meals.
Editor’s Note: We may need to update this list after this news story recently broke – “Canadian Man Finds Dead Mouse in Cup of McDonald’s Coffee“
Human Blood in Taco Bell
Once you read this story, you’ll make a run away from the border. Briana Ralston went to a Louisville combination KFC and Taco Bell to pick up an affordable meal for herself and her 1-year-old daughter. They got the food to go, but while they were eating at home Ralston noticed that there were odd red smears all over the taco wrappers and the bag they came in. She called the restaurant where a manager discovered that one of the employees had gashed their finger open and leaked blood all over Ralston’s food. Needless to say, her next two calls were to the Health Department and a lawyer.
Chicken Head in McDonald’s McNuggets
Fast food restaurants don’t typically make anything from scratch-their meals are produced in massive factories that process ingredients as quickly as possible. While they use quality control methods to make sure those chicken nuggets are as uniform as possible, nobody’s perfect. But the screw-up that slipped through all the way to a McDonald’s in 2000 was one step beyond. Katherine Ortega bought a large order of nuggets from a Newport News McDonald’s and took them home to feed her kids, only to shake a deep-fried chicken head out of the box and onto the plate. That’s not white meat, obviously.
Bullets in Costco Hot Dogs
Warehouse store Costco isn’t a fast food chain per se, but they do serve up large amounts of fast food at their snack bars, and this story is too warped to leave out. In 2004, a woman named Olivia Chanes was shopping at the Irvine, Calif., Costco when she started craving a snack. She settled on a hot dog and, after putting her condiments on the Hebrew National frank, started eating. A few bites in, she felt something hard in her teeth and pulled out a live 9mm bullet. She was freaked out, but things got worse when she began having abdominal pains and was taken to the hospital, where doctors discovered that she’d actually swallowed another live round from inside the hot dog!
Syringe in Burger King Breakfast Sandwich
When you’re in a hurry to get to work, sometimes a breakfast sandwich at a fast food place is the only option. But don’t eat too fast, or else you might find an unpleasant surprise. In 2001, Angelina Cruz went into a Burger King in Queens for a quick sausage and egg breakfast sandwich. As she chewed, she felt something hard inside her cheek and spit the bite out. Lodged in the half-eaten wad of food was a needle tip from a syringe that had pricked her cheek. She wrapped the foreign object in a napkin, but the damage was done and Cruz told the press that she was terrified of the prospect of catching a disease from the medical waste.
Human Skin in Arby’s Sandwich
Arby’s is one of those fast food franchises that you rarely hear about people eating at, yet they seem to be everywhere. They’re famous for their roast beef, but you might want to stay away from the chicken. In 2005, David Scheiding headed into an Arby’s in Tipp City, Ohio, and got himself a chicken sandwich. After a few bites, he noticed the meat felt unusual, reached inside and pulled out a scrap of bloody human skin with a fingerprint on the end. He confronted the manager, who admitted that he’d cut himself shredding lettuce and didn’t notice that a chunk of his right thumb was in with the mixed greens. Unsurprisingly, Scheiding got himself a lawyer and sued.
Fried Mice in Popeye’s Chicken
The kitchen at a fast food restaurant is a paradise for vermin. With so much fatty, salty, starchy food being served (and dropped), scavengers can do very well for themselves if they stay out of sight. But danger also abounds. The Popeye’s Chicken in Baltimore City had been closed down for health violations several times before 2003, but that didn’t stop Tony Hill from going in for a three-piece meal in September. While he ate his chicken, Hill discovered a little something extra-a mouse who had fallen into the fryer and been sizzled to a crisp. Thankfully, he didn’t bite down on the wayward rodent.
Painkillers in Burger King Sandwiches
The case of a Burger King employee named Woody Duclos is one of the weirdest things we’ve ever heard. Duclos got busted in 2010 when a customer felt something strange in her chicken sandwich, spat it out and discovered it was a small blue pill. She took it to a fire station where they identified it as the powerful painkiller hydrocodone. Another man found a pill in a fish sandwich, and the drug-laced food was traced back to Duclos. He was sentenced to five years in prison, but prosecutors couldn’t ever figure out exactly why he wanted to dope up his customers.
Nail in a McDonald’s Burger
Fast food franchising is a global enterprise, and you can get the familiar menu items at McDonalds restaurants all over the world. And that brings with it the same food safety issues, as Swedish man Yushuf Bercil discovered in 2010. Bercil went to a Golden Arches in Gothenburg for a burger, bit down and immediately felt a sharp pain in the roof of his mouth. Not realizing what was happening, he took a second bite and felt even more pain. Reaching into his mouth, Bercil pulled out a ¾-inch nail that had become lodged between his tooth and his gum. He threw up, told the manager and decided to boycott fast food from that point on.
Band-Aid on a Pizza Hut Slice
The idea of eating a used Band-Aid is one of the most repulsive things we can think of, so our hearts go out to Ken Wieczerza of Ballston Lake, New York. Ken ordered a large supreme pizza from the Clifton Park Pizza Hut but couldn’t finish it, so he put the leftovers in the fridge for later. Feeling peckish the next day, he went in for a cold slice and bit down, only to notice a strange feeling on his teeth. Pulling the slice away, he discovered a bloody blue Band-Aid baked right into the crust. He stowed the disgusting piece of pizza in a plastic bag in the fridge and complained to the company.
Finger in Wendy’s Chili
Most cases of gross objects in fast food can, as we’ve seen, be traced back to the kitchen. But sometimes it’s the diners themselves, as this tale illustrates. In 2005, a Las Vegas woman named Anna Ayala ordered a cup of chili at Wendy’s, which for some reason still serves chili. Sitting down to eat it, she freaked out the whole restaurant screaming when a spoonful came up with a severed human finger. Nobody in the kitchen was missing one, so it was quite the mystery for police and the health department. Six weeks later, they figured it out: it belonged to a man who lost it in an accident at work and gave the digit to Ayala’s husband. The couple cooked up a scam to sue Wendy’s for bank, but ended up charged with attempted grand larceny.