Ozzy Osbourne had a bad burn scare on Thursday (Jan 17) at his home in Beverly Hills, leaving the Prince of Darkness with singed hair, minor burns to his face and no eyebrows.
Firefighters were called to the Osbournes’ home just before 5am on Thursday for a fire caused by an unattended candle, which set a blaze in the Osbourne’s living room. Ozzy and his wife Sharon woke to the fire and attempted to put out the flames, resulting in further injuries to the rocker's hand which had just undergone surgery the previous day.
The Black Sabbath vocalist was further injured when Sharon retrieved some water and unintentionally caused the oily fire to spread as she splashed the flames. As a result, Ozzy’s hair caught fire and burned up to his ears, seared off his eyebrows and left his cheeks skinned.
Sharon described the incident in detail on her show ‘The Talk’ today:
At five o’ clock (in the morning), I heard a noise like metal had fallen. I thought it was my housekeeper coming in and she had dropped her keys on the tiles, that’s what it sounded like, so I didn’t pay any attention. A few minutes later, my eyes are stinging and my throat’s closing up, (I thought), ‘Something’s weird smelling in here’.
Then my dog started to bark. I go downstairs and the whole living room (was on fire). The candle had burst and the cracking sound was the glass and the candle exploding…
My husband had an operation on his hand yesterday so he’s in a complete cast… He comes down and goes, ‘Oh, the fire, the fire!’ (and tries to put it out) with his hand in the cast. Then he opens the French doors and I go into the kitchen and throw water on it and it erupted…
Ozzy’s front of his hair from (his ear down is), gone! His eyebrows (are gone)… he’s got like, skinned cheeks. We are, like, two idiots, it was like The Three Stooges… Everything you are not meant to do – go to bed with candles alight, open the doors and put water on – we did it all.
They (the firemen) come up, they give us a lecture, and Ozzy’s like, ‘She’s been doing this to me for 32 years! You tell her, you tell her, no more candles!’
I apologize to my husband because he put himself out. He made his hand worse, it started to bleed, the whole nine yards, and I’m sorry and I love you and I will never light a candle again…
I want to thank the firemen from Beverly Hills Fire Station because you are magnificent there and I want to say to everyone out there, please, please check your candles before you go to bed.
In healthier Ozzy news, his band Black Sabbath have just announced that they will release their long-awaited new album, 13, in June. Details here.