EA Sports has announced that they will be coming out with a new downloadable version of NBA JAM for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, purchaseable through Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, respectively. The new version of the title, named the “On Fire Edition,” will include everything that came on the retail disc, plus a few bonuses and tweaks.
So let’s get this straight: NBA JAM came out originally at retail on Wii as a system “exclusive”; then it was announced for Xbox 360 and PS3 as a downloadable extra in NBA Elite 11; then Elite 11 was scrapped and NBA JAM came out instead on 360 and PS3 at near full retail cost; now we’re getting the downloadable version we were originally promised, with extras, at a fraction of the cost? Do I have those facts straight?
Something seems wrong about this. I guess it’s just a “good things come to those who wait” type of scenario. Either way, this is sure to piss off the people that did rush out and pay $50 for their boom shakalaka fix.
OK, rant done. Now on to the specifics of this downloadable version of NBA JAM. Here’s a full rundown, straight from EA, on the tweaks and additions to the On Fire Edition:
· REAL AI: Featuring the ground-breaking AI system used in the Fight Night franchise that learns your tendencies and throws them back in your face.
· JAM Arena – Play solo, or team up with friends and take on the world in a new, dynamic online competition.
· Road Trip – A cooperative online campaign where you can team up with friends and compete in a series of white-knuckle challenges against the current superstars and timeless legends from each of the 30 NBA Teams.
· Tag Mode and Team Fire return! – Swap players “on the fly” and ignite your entire team by performing consecutive cooperative moves!
· More NBA JAM Hotness – Online roster updates, more NBA superstars, legendary NBA players, over-the-top animations, JAM challenges, secret teams and unlockable characters than ever before!
Oh yea, EA also managed to slip in some info on NBA Elite’s return in 2012 at the end of the press release for NBA JAM: On Fire Edition. Here’s what they had to say on the matter:
“As planned, our next NBA simulation title is in development at our Tiburon Studio in Orlando,” said Peter Moore, President, EA SPORTS. “We have top talent on the game, and we’re giving the new development team time to deliver a superior experience. We’re making great strides and looking forward to launching a new game next year."