Gears of War 3 is now officially the fastest pre-ordered Xbox exclusive title ever, hitting over 1 million pre-orders already. Microsoft and Epic are celebrating by popping bottles of champagne and issuing press releases to celebrate their leetness.
“Consumer demand for Gears of War 3 has been incredible,” said Bob McKenzie, Senior VP of Merchandising at GameStop. “It is one of the few times in our history that we’ve seen a title hit this level of pre-order numbers four months out from launch, putting Gears of War 3 on track to be one of the year’s biggest blockbuster gaming hits.”
In addition to pre-order numbers, Microsoft and Epic released figures for how many people played the recently-concluded Gears of War 3 beta. Apparently, over 1.29 million people from 145 different countries participated in the beta. In just a month’s time, 11 million matches were played for a combined time of 249 years. One word: wow. If you’re interested in the rest of the stats, check them out below.
· 1.29 million people participated in the beta
- 145 different countries participated in the beta
- 249 years worth of matches played
- More than 11 million matches completed
- More than 927 million kills recorded
- More than 131 million executions performed
- More than 23 million deaths by chainsaw
- Nearly 23 BILLION bullets fired
- 4.9 billion ribbons and 291 million medals earned
- 435,000 people earned the beta-exclusive Thrashball Cole skin to use in the retail game when it launches in September
- 234,000 people earned the beta-exclusive Gold Retro Lancer to use in the retail game when it launches in September
Just the other day Microsoft and Epic detailed the special collector’s editions for Gears of War 3. You can get Gears 3 in three flavors: regular, Limited and Epic. Just try to imagine how much Microsoft and Epic stands to make off those 1 million plus pre-orders if just a fraction of the people threw down for one of those special editions.