I received a press release this week about The Daily Meal releasing their pics for the 101 best restaurants in the great U.S. of A. Under the helm of editorial director, Colman Andrews, an eight-time James beard award winner and global authority on food and wine, the report takes on a massive feat: narrowing down the United States’ most eaten-at, talked-about, highly-rated restaurants, to a slim list of just 101.
A panel of nearly 200 judges (comprised primarily of restaurant critics, food and lifestyle writers, and assorted bloggers, from across the country) examined past years’ winners and offered nominations for new restaurants to be considered, and then The Daily Meal's editors added their nominations and prepared a survey that allowed participants to vote for their favorites.
The voting was based on cuisine, region, and a number of specific factors, including formality (of food and atmosphere), level of "buzz," and price range. As was the case last year, the spectrum of restaurants ranged from chef-driven neighborhood spots and avant-garde restaurants to iconic casual establishments. Each restaurant had the chance to be voted on three times during the survey. Finally, the percentage scores from each category were averaged to arrive at the final ranking.
Here's a listing of the top 30:
30) Bar Tartine, San Francisco
29) Masa, New York City
28) August, New Orleans
27) Mission Chinese Food, San Francisco
26) Franklin BBQ, Austin, Texas
25) Joël Robuchon, Las Vegas
24) Husk, Charleston, S.C.
23) Bouchon Bistro, Yountville, Calif.
22) Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles
21) Gotham Bar and Grill, New York City
20) Animal, Los Angeles
19) Zuni Café, San Francisco
18) Commander's Palace, New Orleans
17) Per Se, New York City
16) Del Posto, New York City
15) Chez Panisse, Berkeley, Calif.
14) Alinea, Chicago
13) Daniel, New York City
12) Jean Georges, New York City
11) Shake Shack, New York City
10) Cochon, New Orleans
9) Girl & the Goat, Chicago
8) Babbo, New York City
7) ABC Kitchen, New York City
6) Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, N.Y.
5) Eleven Madison Park, New York City
4) Momofuku Ssäm Bar, New York City
3) Le Bernardin, New York City
2) Gramercy Tavern, New York City
1) The French Laundry, Yountville, Calif.