Two teams that were going in different directions finally broke their unexpected streaks in week 5. The Saints snapped their winless streak to go 1-4 on the season while the Cardinals got their first loss of the year. Meanwhile, two teams in the NFC North are tearing up the NFL, and no, I'm not talking about the Packers and Lions.
Previous week's ranking in parentheses
1. (1) Atlanta Falcons - Another big comeback for Matty Ice and the Falcons as they score 17 points in the 4th quarter against the 'Skins.
2. (2) Houston Texans - The Texans didn't completely destroy the Jets as expected, but the game was never in doubt.
3. (5) San Francisco 49ers - A franchise record 621 yards of offense and another dominant performance for the 49ers, I would have San Francisco at #1 if there weren't two undefeated teams.
4. (4) New England Patriots - 58 points and 580 yards of offense is exactly what we expect from the Patriots.
5. (8) Chicago Bears - Two all around dominant performances in consecutive weeks for the Bears, this team is feast or famine.
6. (9) Minnesota Vikings - Christian Ponder had a great game leading the Vikings to an expected win over the Titans.
7. (7) Baltimore Ravens - Baltimore is the most frustrating team in the league. The offense should be scoring more than 9 points against the Chiefs.
8. (6) Cincinnati Bengals - I don't know if I'm more impressed with the Dolphins or more disappointed with the Bengals after this week 5 loss.
9. (10) Denver Broncos - The offense moved the ball against the Patriots, but also turned the ball over three times and the defense couldn't stop Tom Brady and the New England offense.
10. (13) Pittsburgh Steelers - Two field goals in the 4th quarter sealed the victory for a Steelers team that should be playing better.
11. (3) Arizona Cardinals - No matter how good the defense is, if you can't protect the quaterback (9 sacks), you can't win.
12. (12) New York Giants - I said last week that the Giants need to run more consistently in order to win, and a 200 yard day from Bradshaw was critical in a closer than expected win over the Browns.
13. (11) Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers and the offense aren't playing as well as they did last year and it will be tough for them to get back on track next week against the Texans.
14. (17) St. Louis Rams - The offense didn't move the ball with regularity against the Cardinals, but with the defense playing as well as they are, they don't need to.
15. (16) Detroit Lions - After using the bye week to get healthy, it will be interesting to see if the Lions get back on track against the Eagles.
16. (14) San Diego Chargers - San Diego was able to score points against the Saints, but couldn't get a game tying touchdown on the final drive after a few bad penalty calls.
17. (18) Seattle Seahawks - The offense again struggled to get into the endzone against a bad Carolina defense.
18. (15) Philadelphia Eagles - Big surprise, turnovers take points off the board for the Eagles.
19. (25) Indianapolis Colts - After an emotional victory over the Packers, it will be interesting to see if the Colts can keep their momentum against the Jets.
20. (21) Dallas Cowboys - The Cowboys needed a week off, now to see if it pays off against the Ravens.
21. (22) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Week six's game against the Chiefs could be a turning point on the Buc's season.
22. (28) New Orleans Saints - The saints FINALLY win their first game of the year, but it took another dominating offensive performance and some bad calls on the Chargers' last drive.
23. (20) Washington Redskins - The defense collapsed in the 4th quarter, but the bigger story was RG3 leaving the game with a concussion.
24. (23) Kansas City Chiefs - The Chiefs were able to move the ball against Baltimore, but again turnovers derail their chances.
25. (29) Miami Dolphins - The Dolphins barely hold on against the Bengals for their second consecutive victory.
26. (19) Buffalo Bills - Losing by 42 points should have dropped the bills more than 7 spots, but did we expect anything else against San Fransisco?
27. (27) New York Jets - The offense showed flashes against the Texans on Monday night, but a loss is a loss.
28. (24) Tennessee Titans - Not having Jake Locker and Chris Johnson reverting back to mediocrity doomed the Titans on the road versus a better than expected Minnesota Vikings.
29. (26) Carolina Panthers - Carolina faced a tough Seattle defense, but this team is just bad all around.
30. (31) Oakland Raiders - On the bye last week, the Raiders have a tough match-up in week 6 against the Falcons.
31. (30) Jacksonville Jaguars - The rout suffered at the hands of the Bears proves what we know, the Jaguars are terrible.
32. (32) Cleveland Browns - The Browns gave New York a good game, but as the only 0-5 team in the NFL, #32 is where they belong.
Photo Credit: Bryan C Singer/Icon SMI