The antics of 20-year-old tennis sensation Bernard Tomic have finally lost favour with Tennis Australia. Tomic learnt Thursday that he’d been left off the upcoming Davis Cup team and that his country’s tennis governing organisation was considering cutting financial sponsorship for the talented youngster.
In a strange turn of events, Tomic responded Thursday evening saying he was never even available to play.
Tomic and Tennis Australia are in the midst of what is becoming a bitter feud as director Craig Tiley said Thursday that Tomic had been dropped for Australia’s opening round Davis Cup tie against Taiwan.
However, Tiley said that coach, and Australian tennis legend Pat Rafter, made the decision to leave Tomic behind.
"As a team, we just felt that part of the commitment that we make to athletes and athletes make to the sport is they always put 100 per cent commitment and effort in competing for their country ," said Tiley.
Tomic claims to have told Rafter that he would not be able to commit to Australia's Davis Cup campaign and would instead focus on ATP events in the United States.
"I was never meant to play that Davis Cup tie,'' Tomic said.
"I spoke to Pat (about that). I'm going to use that time for training and to prepare for tournaments in America.''
Even Australia’s top tennis player, Sam Stosur (women’s world No.9) has chimed in saying it was time Tomic “knuckled down”.
Stosur was asked what Tomic must ask himself to have a successful career and she offered, "What are you doing? Are you wanting to play tennis? If you are, then give it 100 per cent because you only get one crack at it.
Tomic’s world ranking slid from a career best 27th to below 50 by the end of the 2012 season. He was also involved in a few on and off-court incidents that brought his commitment and maturity levels into question.
Crave has Australian sport covered.
Follow Robert White on Twitter @RobertWhitebrrr.