Photo by Larry Busacca/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images.
We’re all going to grow old, it’s inevitable. Thinning hair and baldness are aging byproducts, especially if it’s imprinted into your genetic code.
One of a man’s biggest worries is hair loss, but it doesn’t have to be something that’s feared. It’s up to you to handle it gracefully and deal with your hair loss with confidence. We’ll help you turn your losses into potential gains by encouraging you to try one of these hairstyles for balding men.
But before we go to the examples, we’d like to share a few very useful general rules you should have in mind when going bald:
- Accept the fact that you are going bald. You are your worst enemy when it comes to thinking about it, so relax and enjoy your life.
- Don’t wear a toupee or go with hair transplants. Unless you have loads of money, these options almost never look good, and even when they do look good, they almost never look completely natural.
- Make the best out of your natural hair and make sure it follows the shape of your face.
- Short hairstyles minimize the appearance of thinning hair. Contrary to popular belief, longer hairstyles emphasize it.
- Comb-overs are a no-no. Doing so only draws unwanted attention to your bald spot.
- There are products on the market that can help slow down hair loss but not prevent it completely. Use them, just don’t expect too much out of them.
The Best Hairstyles for Balding Men
If you have a large bald spot, go for the completely shaven look. Mind the shape of your head so you don’t end up looking like an alien egg. Not everyone has “the head for it”.
If the clean shaven look is a bit too much for you, go for Buzz Cut. It is a low-maintenance cut leaving your hair at the barely-visible length.
One Length All Around
Some also call this classic a Short Caesar cut. Establish just how short your hair should be in proportion to your bald spot(s) and keep it trimmed neatly around the neck and ears.
The High and Tight
If your hair is just starting to thin out, this one will give the illusion that you have more hair than you do. Just keep you hair in the back as short as possible to simply blend it into the thinning area.
Or, you could just say fuck it and wear your remaining hair defiantly and proudly, exactly the way it is. It’s a low-maintenance cut with just occasional trimming, and if it’s good enough for the former James Bond, why wouldn’t it be good enough for you?
Remember, it’s ultimately about being confident and honest with yourself. Going bald is not a tragedy, it’s a simple fact of life for many people, and you should embrace it with style and grace instead of kicking and screaming or going for band-aid “fix” approaches.